WR-1 Is Finished

We built a rocket! According to simulations, once it’s been completed, it should comfortably reach an altitude of 1000m, carrying an interesting payload. The flight computer’s design has substantial room for improvement. We hope to get more electronic engineers on board next year to work on an improved design!

I’ll write a follow-up post soon, telling the entire story of the design and construction of WR-1, also known as the I’m Sure A More Poetic Name Will Become Obvious Once We’ve Built It. For now, here’s a photo:

Photo of WR-1

The rocket, disassembled, in a handy carrying box.


We’ve Started Building

All of the parts we ordered for WR-1 have arrived, and we have begun the first stage of building the competition rocket!

 

Set-up and organised, ready to start the first stage of building.

Set-up and organised, ready to start the first stage of building.

The first step was cutting the body-tube to the correct length and number of sections:

Lee Staples cutting the Phenolic tubing air frame.

Lee Staples cutting the Phenolic tubing air frame.

The next step was to cut and re-shape the coupler tube:

Christopholos Hickey sanding down the coupler tube (it was too wide, so we had to cut it down a bit).

Chris Hickey sanding down the coupler tube (it was too wide, so we had to cut it down a bit).

The finished coupler tube had to then be attached to the payload section:

Christopholos Hickey affixing the coupler tube to the payload section.

Chris Hickey affixing the coupler tube to the payload section.

Next we worked on the inner tube \ engine mount:

The finished engine mount.

The finished engine mount.

Here you can see Rob admiring our hard work:

Robert Sandford thinking about engine retention.

Robert Sandford thinking about engine retention.

We have a small issue of engine retention, which we’ll have a look into and update you when we know what we’re doing

The next step was to make and attach the fins:

Sanding down the leading edges of the fins.

Sanding down the leading edges of the fins.

The last step for now, was to add and smooth the fin fillets:

Fin fillets much smoother and more aerodynamic after sanding down with cylindrical piece of Nylon.

Fin fillets much smoother and more aerodynamic after sanding down with cylindrical piece of Nylon.

Our finished work on first stage of building the competition rocket:

Second stage of making rocket for NRC 2014.

Second stage of making rocket for NRC 2014.

Look out for more updates!